Welcome to the Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue (GEGR) blog page! Here you will find information about our current foster dogs, events, and other information. We are located in Southern Maryland region and help racing Greyhounds into retirement throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and the Washington, D.C areas! Whether you are looking for a 4-legged family member, a volunteer opportunity, or for new friends, we are excited you are here!

For more information about GEGR,
please check out our website!

PS. Don't forget to spread the word about all this cuteness on the blog! Please share blog posts on your personal social media accounts (links below each post) and like the GEGR Facebook page or follow us on Twitter for notifications when the blog is updated.

Eyes (Dyin Eyes) 11/11 - Check it Out!

Whoa, hey everybody! It's me, Eyes, again!

Everyone is always curious about how retired racers do learning to be super awesome family members. Well, as you can see from the blogs of all my GEGR dog friends (and my blog, too - did you see my last post?), we all adjust pretty fast to life in a loving home. There are a bunch of things that help us get acclimated - especially to new people. Hand-feeding us, leash walks in calm places, and learning new skills together; those are all things that will help us bond with our new family members. I've discovered that learning new stuff is so cool!

Here's a cool skill I'm learning - STAY. See, I really like food, so I get excited when it's my mealtime. But I'm learning to wait politely until my meal is put down for me. (Note that this is already after I've done DOWN for some of my kibble like you saw in the video in a previous post)


Cool, right?? Just like Down, Stay is a skill we can work on together for us all to become family. Which is awesome.

Now, you might have heard that greyhounds are different from other dogs - stuff like the idea that we don't bark, don't shed, or we can't sit. Ummm, total malarky. We're individuals when it comes to barking - I'm not that much into it unless I'm being playful (or giving that weird robot vacuum a piece of my mind), and just about any greyhound can learn to sit.

Proof, you say? Ha.

Not a Problem, UC!!

I'm still learning, so I have to do Down first, but I'm a sittin' fool after that. And I can learn to do it from standing; it just might take me a while to get the idea.

Last thing - I heard from a little birdie 🐦 that some of you might want to meet me? Okay, but just be prepared that I'm a little shy around strangers when I first meet them, so you might not see my awesome personality right away. Okay? But I promise that as soon as we're friends, you'll be getting the best greyhound hugs a Forever Family could ever want.

If you want to learn more about me, check out my Other Blog Posts. Hopefully, I'll see you soon, okay??

Love and two paws on your lap asking for hugs,
Eyes