Welcome to the Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue (GEGR) blog page! Here you will find information about our current foster dogs, events, and other information. We are located in Southern Maryland region and help racing Greyhounds into retirement throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and the Washington, D.C areas! Whether you are looking for a 4-legged family member, a volunteer opportunity, or for new friends, we are excited you are here!

For more information about GEGR,
please check out our website!

PS. Don't forget to spread the word about all this cuteness on the blog! Please share blog posts on your personal social media accounts (links below each post) and like the GEGR Facebook page or follow us on Twitter for notifications when the blog is updated.

Peg Rio 7/21 - We're Having a Heatwave!

Hello again friends,

Retire, they said.
Move north, they said.
They have all 4 seasons, they said.

Well, I have been here for a week, and I'm starting to think I was told a tall tale, because it's been nothing but H-O-T and H-U-M-I-D.  Foster mom said it isn't always this way, but it's certainly put a damper in my outdoor activities.

So, what does one do for fun on a hot and muggy day?   Head to the pet store!   Foster mom cooled down the van and loaded me up for a trip!





First, we just did a little walking around; that sliding door was WEIRD, but foster mom said there was nothing to worry about, so I walked right in.   I did great on the smooth, shiny, floors.    We met a really nice cashier, who came over and gave me some love and some COOKIES!!!!  


Next, we hit the food aisle.  So many choices!


How about this one foster mom?


Or maybe this one?



But then, we came around the corner, and I saw it.  


The most amazing thing I have ever seen in all my life.

It was an open bar of nothing but TREATS!!!!!!





Have you ever seen anything so beautiful and amazing?    Treats of every kind.

Ohhhh foster mom, this one is calling to me! 


Foster mom got a bag and got all different kinds for me and my foster siblings.   Also, things to know about retirement manners:  apparently, even when delicious noms are placed right at nose height, it is bad form to just help oneself.  Who could have guessed?!   So much to learn, but I'm learning my manners and working on being patient.


After we left the bar, we headed for the register and waited our turn to check out.  I got a few treats in the van for the trip home!

Please pay quickly, sir.  I am trying to be patient, but we have cookies. 


Foster mom said I did really well with our trip to the store.  Sometimes when I try new things, or meet new people or non greyhound dogs, I get a little shy and cautious, but as long as my person with me is calm and confident and lets me know things are ok, I do just fine. 

I sure hope there are lots of trips to the store in my future.   If you are looking for a great way to pass the time during this heatwave, I highly recommend your local pet shop.  Stay cool, friends!


Until next time,

Rio 🐾

#hernameisrio
#adoptagreyhound