Welcome to the Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue (GEGR) blog page! Here you will find information about our current foster dogs, events, and other information. We are located in Southern Maryland region and help racing Greyhounds into retirement throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and the Washington, D.C areas! Whether you are looking for a 4-legged family member, a volunteer opportunity, or for new friends, we are excited you are here!

For more information about GEGR,
please check out our website!

PS. Don't forget to spread the word about all this cuteness on the blog! Please share blog posts on your personal social media accounts (links below each post) and like the GEGR Facebook page or follow us on Twitter for notifications when the blog is updated.

Peg Rio: 7/14 - Landing and Layover

Hello friends,

My name is Peg Rio, but you can call me Rio!   I arrived from Florida yesterday and wow, I've been a busy girl!   I got to VA early Saturday morning, then took a trip in a van to Maryland, where I got a spa treatment: bath, groom, microchip... and then I got to meet two little dogs and a cat!  I was gentle and polite with all three of them.  When my spa day was over, I got back in the van and took a trip back to VA where I spent the night with my temporary foster mom before going to my regular foster home on Sunday.

At my temp foster home, I had several greyhound foster siblings, and a little miniature schnauzer foster sibling; he is an older fellow, so foster mom said I needed to be gentle, and I did wonderfully with him.

I'm starting to learn the ins and out of retired life.   I've been practicing stairs, and have just about got going down 100% on my own.  Going up takes a little help and encouragement from foster mom, but I'll have it down in no time!   I LOVE mealtimes, and am learning to be patient and wait for my bowl. Right now, I like spending time in my crate; it's familiar and comforting to me.

Snoozing 💜


I've also started discovering the joys of squeaky toys.  My favorite so far has been this squeaky snake, so I took him in my crate with me to keep me company.  If you ended up adopting me and wanted to know how to get one, here's a little help (hint hint) Invincibles Sqeaky Snake

Hello orange snake.  Thanks for being a friend.


When I'm out of the crate, I like to stay close to foster mom and keep an eye on her; after all, every job needs a good supervisor!

Let me know if you need some help with that foster mama. 


We also took a little walk in the neighborhood Sunday morning; I'm doing well with my leash manners.  There was so much to sniff!  We met three non-greyhound dogs on our walk!  I wasn't quite sure what they were at first; they didn't look a thing like me, but they were really nice! 



I had a nice layover at temp foster mama's house, and she said I'm so sweet, she's really going to miss me, but today, I hopped back in the van and we took a short trip to meet my new foster mom, where I'll continue to learn all about retirement.  I'm a great traveler!

Heading to my next big adventure! 


Hope you'll check back in and see how I'm progressing!

Until next time,

Rio 🐾


#hernameisrio
#adoptagreyhound