Welcome to the Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue (GEGR) blog page! Here you will find information about our current foster dogs, events, and other information. We are located in Southern Maryland region and help racing Greyhounds into retirement throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and the Washington, D.C areas! Whether you are looking for a 4-legged family member, a volunteer opportunity, or for new friends, we are excited you are here!

For more information about GEGR,
please check out our website!

PS. Don't forget to spread the word about all this cuteness on the blog! Please share blog posts on your personal social media accounts (links below each post) and like the GEGR Facebook page or follow us on Twitter for notifications when the blog is updated.

Mac's Mandrill: 6/25/19 - Adventures on the Appalachian Trail


Hi Friends! 
Mandy here. I'm so glad you're back for more Tails from Retirement. My latest adventure was my biggest so far and unlike anything I've experienced before. My foster family met up with some of their friends and took me to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I got to try this thing called "hiking". I figured out pretty quickly that it's like going for a walk, but in the woods and you have to climb up and down rocks. But that's no problem at all! 
Why is that, you may ask?
1) I love taking walks
2) I'm unstoppable in these new booties
3) I'm always up for a new adventure
4) I've discovered I'm a natural 



Taking care of business before our hike and saying hello
to my foster brother's friends, Maya and Paso.

Rocking my booties as I warm up for
the hike.

All warmed up and ready to go.
Bring on the trail!
We started our day at the visitors center and warmed up with a short walk. After 3 hours in the car, I think we all really needed a good stretch. If I haven't mentioned it before, I'm great in the car. Anyway, we saw some old 100+ year old cabins and I waited with my friends and a park ranger while my foster parents learned about the way of life for the people who lived there. I was trying to be as patient as possible, but I was ready to hit the trail! 
Starting our hike on the Appalachian Trail.

Hiked my way to Cedar Cliffs.

Appreciating the view. Who knew a pup from the track could
experience a place like this?
Life really is greyt!

Enjoying a beautiful day in the Great Outdoors.

Taking a well deserved water break with my friend, Maya,
as we chat about brood mom stuff.

I was born to hike...er, run...
You know what I mean!
I had such a great day I can't believe I had gone my whole life having never even heard of hiking. I really think I'm a natural, and my foster parents agree. They said they were really impressed with how I navigated my way around all the rocks on the trail and with how much energy I had to just keep going. What can I say, I was in my element and I'm always ready to find out what's just beyond the bend!


Chilling at a dog-friendly brewery post-hike while the
humans have lunch.

The perfect end to an exciting day.
Dreaming of all the adventures I'll take
with my Forever Family. 

Anyway, that's all for now. I've been spending the last few days recovering from all the excitement of the past weekend, so I probably won't have any more outings for a few days. I know you'll want to see my pretty face in the meantime. My foster parents are always following me around snapping too many pictures. I'm sure they have more than a few to share on my next blog post. 

Until next time, 
Mandy