Welcome to the Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue (GEGR) blog page! Here you will find information about our current foster dogs, events, and other information. We are located in Southern Maryland region and help racing Greyhounds into retirement throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and the Washington, D.C areas! Whether you are looking for a 4-legged family member, a volunteer opportunity, or for new friends, we are excited you are here!

For more information about GEGR,
please check out our website!

PS. Don't forget to spread the word about all this cuteness on the blog! Please share blog posts on your personal social media accounts (links below each post) and like the GEGR Facebook page or follow us on Twitter for notifications when the blog is updated.

PD Slim Pickens: 2/13/2017 - A Petey Primer"

Hello friends, 

I've been back with GEGR for a while and apologize for being slow to get my blog going!  My foster mom had an illness in her family, so she didn't have much time to help me (my lack of opposable thumbs makes typing a challenge), but I'm ready to blog and strut my stuff and will be playing some catch up to let you see all the things I've been up to since coming back to GEGR.


To tell you a little about me, I was adopted in Oct 2015 to a wonderful family; I loved them so much, and they loved me too and worked so hard to make things better so they could keep me, but in the end, it just wasn't a good fit, so in August 2016, I came back to GEGR to find a new home.  I've been living with my foster family since then.

I'm going to turn things over to my foster mom for a little bit, and she's going to give you the scoop about me!  But first, here's picture of me just hanging out on my favorite chair.  (I was "broken" before I came back to foster care, so the "no fosters on the furniture rule" doesn't apply to me.  Woo hoo!)   Ok, take it away foster mom!  





Petey's foster mom here!  Petey is an amazing, special dog, who is looking for an equally special home where he can thrive.  I can't say enough good things about Petey:  he is super smart, eager to please, LOVES people and charms absolutely everyone he meets.  He's a huge smiler as well.  He's affectionate, loves being loved on, and is very easy to physically handle:  doing nails, cleaning ears, brushing teeth are no problem with Petey!  He is always ready to go walking and is excited to head out on a new adventure.  He greets every morning with a happy, bouncy spirit and always comes to the bedside to give me good morning kisses.  Petey does have some special needs that his adoptive family will need to be aware of and continue to manage.

Petey has some separation anxiety (SA) - this was pretty severe when he was first adopted, but his first family did a wonderful job working with him, and he is MUCH improved.  He takes Prozac daily to manage this, and may need to stay on this long term.  When he first came back into foster care, he struggled for a few weeks with SA, but once he settled, he has done well since.  He does still struggle some if left for long periods of time, and would do best in a home with a canine companion, where he is not left for longer than about 6-7 hours at a time.

Petey has some mild sleep startle and has had some issues with reactivity when he gets overly excited or anxious.  He does best with dogs who are laid back and easy going.  He would also do better living in a less busy neighborhood; all the noises of a busy city may be too stimulating for him.

Although Petey lived with cats in his first home without any incidents and is currently fostered with a miniature schnauzer, he can sometimes get overly excited with them, so we will not be placing him with cats or little dogs.

If you are interested in learning more about Petey and whether or not your home might be the right one for him, please contact GEGR, and I'll be happy to talk more with you about him!  He truly is a wonderful, lovely dog, who will be a delight for the right family.

Alright Petey Pete - back to you!


Thanks foster mom!  To be honest folks, I was a little nervous about starting my blog.  I told foster mom I was scared that when people learned I have a few "issues" that no one will want me, but foster mom told me not to worry, because there is a perfect forever home for every greyhound!  

So, I hope you will come back and follow my blog, and if you think we might be a good fit, reach out to GEGR!  

One more photo before I go.  This is me and my look alike foster brother Max.  We both love food and  peanut butter is one of our favorites!   (I'm the handsome one on the left) 





Woof for now!

Petey