Welcome to the Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue (GEGR) blog page! Here you will find information about our current foster dogs, events, and other information. We are located in Southern Maryland region and help racing Greyhounds into retirement throughout Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and the Washington, D.C areas! Whether you are looking for a 4-legged family member, a volunteer opportunity, or for new friends, we are excited you are here!

For more information about GEGR,
please check out our website!

PS. Don't forget to spread the word about all this cuteness on the blog! Please share blog posts on your personal social media accounts (links below each post) and like the GEGR Facebook page or follow us on Twitter for notifications when the blog is updated.

Meet Liberty and follow his journey 8/22/17

Liberty came to us from the breeding farm in Kansas.  Our group learned about him because his mom came to us when her brood mom career was over.  My husband and I adopted his mom, and when we learned about Liberty and his condition we wanted him to come to us for physical therapy and wellness.  I'm going to blog and hope you will follow along on his journey.

Liberty is a super sweet dog.  He is cuddly and funny and just super super mellow for an 18 month old greyhound.  He is social and lovely with our other greyhounds. He loves to roach, loves his toys and treats and naps on comfy beds.  There is something unique about him because every single dog in my house or that comes to visit wants to lie next to him. Even some of my own dogs who don't share their space are drawn to him and can be found getting comfy next to him on his bed.  He is a master at bed fails and tongue out snoozing.  

He has an issue with his hind end that is making it difficult for him to stand up from a lying down or a sitting position (yes he sits, not on command, but he does sit all the time).  We don't know how long he has had this issue or when it was discovered.  We know it is what prevented him from schooling and ultimately racing.  He can walk and run, and fetch (he loves to fetch), but he is weak in the hind end and has an odd gait. We have xrayed his entire body.  He has had no breaks or fractures and everything is where it is supposed to be anatomically.  We know he was treated on the farm with massage, medication and a bit of other physical therapies.  

GEGR is currently working with, not one, but two vets to figure out his issue and do what's best to give him an independent quality of life.  We are confident we will get him there. Both vets feel the muscles in his hind end are very tight and weak.  He's getting various treatments to loosen these muscles.  He is doing really well with his PT and is increasingly getting up on his own more and more as each week passes.  Our hope is that once he is managing unassisted he will be available for adoption.  We don't have specifics about what would be the best home for him at this time, but as he grows in strength I am certain we will advise about the aspects of his perfect home. 

So between now and then, please join us as he grows in strength and independence.  Along the way it is my hope you will learn about is quirky, silly ways and laugh out loud like he makes me laugh every single day.  This boy has an overload of character and charm.   


"Hi, I'm Liberty...my foster mom stole my ears"

"It's my bed(s) and I'll snooze how I want to."

"I do like my toys"

"I sleep like this because I can"

"Anyone for a little bit of "skinny" dipping?  See what I did there, "skinny", I'm a greyhound, people think we're skinny.  Hence skinny dipping...sometimes I tickle myself!"